We provide comprehensive liver surgery services to address various liver disorders. In this section, we will focus on liver resection, a common surgical procedure performed to treat liver cancer. We will explore why liver resection is necessary, the outcomes of the procedure, and the survival rates associated with it.
Liver Resection for Liver Cancer:
- Liver resection involves the removal of a portion of the liver and is the most frequent operation performed on the liver.
- The primary indication for liver resection is the presence of a malignant tumor. Tumors can be either primary, originating in the liver, or metastatic, originating in another organ and spreading to the liver. The majority of liver metastases arise from the colon.
- Resection can successfully treat single or multiple tumors confined to one side of the liver, with a five-year survival rate as high as 60%.
Why Liver Resection is Necessary:
- Patients undergoing liver resection are carefully evaluated by a multidisciplinary team to ensure the absence of extrahepatic (outside the liver) tumors. Resections performed on patients with extrahepatic disease may alleviate symptoms caused by the tumor but offer limited improvement in survival.
- Liver resection is also performed for the management of benign liver tumors such as cysts, adenomas, and hemangiomas. Laparoscopic resection, a minimally invasive approach, can be considered for small and superficial benign tumors.
Results and Survival Rate:
- Liver resection typically lasts 3-5 hours and can be performed without the need for blood transfusion.
- Up to 75% of liver tissue can be safely removed during the procedure.
- The hospital stay following liver resection is approximately five days, with complete recovery expected within 5-6 weeks.
- The resected liver regenerates to its preoperative size within 6-8 weeks.
- Liver resections generally yield excellent results, with high success rates and favourable outcomes.
At our hospital, we have a team of experienced surgeons specializing in liver resection surgeries. We strive to provide the highest quality of care and utilize advanced techniques to ensure optimal outcomes for our patients.
Contact our hospital to schedule a consultation with our multidisciplinary team and learn more about our liver surgery services. Your well-being is our priority, and we are dedicated to providing exceptional medical care throughout your treatment journey.